I was listening to a lot of Pixies when I started working on the book, so I suppose its fitting that I’m listening to them as I work on the final leg.
12:42 am • 4 January 2013 • 7 notes
I didn’t really read very many comics in 2012, but regardless:
Best Comics of 2012:
- The Score by Darwyn Cooke - Darwyn Cooke is a comics master. This book is just pure comics at its best. Cooke manages to top himself every time he puts one of these Parker books out, and it’s a pleasure to read and watch him get better.
- Wild Children - Ales Kot & Riley Rossmo - I’m not even really sure I liked this very much, but I’ve read it about a dozen times since buying it; I can’t remember the last time I’ve reread a new comic. There’s something about this book that feels fresh and also frustrating. Kot seems like someone to watch out for in 2013. I’m excited to see what his new series have to offer.
- Study Group #1 - Zack Soto & Co. - This felt a bit like a modern Rubber Blanket. There was a real great mix of comics from Deforge, Negron, etc., and an interview with Craig Thompson that influenced how I make comics as soon as I read it. Also, the two tone look of the book was rad.
I still haven’t picked up Lose 4 or Nao of Brown or any other comic that people were raving about, so that’s a thing. I’m sure I’ll get around to reading them eventually. I feel kind of indifferent about reading comics at the moment, for some reason.
- The best TV show I watched was American Horror Story. It was pretty awful, which made it fun to watch. It reminded me a lot of watching Goosebumps as a kid.
- The best album I listened to was GB City by Bass Drum of Death. It feels like the soundtrack to the best teenage coming of age/heartbreak story no one’s made yet.
- The best movie I saw was Paranorman. Not only was it visually stunning, but all the interpersonal conflict was really well done. That felt pretentious as hell to write. Sorry. Go see it, though! I’ve never seen a kids movie that handled things so realistically and was fun to watch at the same time.
2012 was a really good year for me. I made comics and spent time with the people I wanted to spend time with, which is all I really wanted. 2013 should be killer. I’ll be putting my book out in March or April and I’m going to start screenprinting in a week or two, I think. Also, there’s that whole “Applying to Colleges” thing. It’s kind of surreal that High School’ll be over in a year and a half. Hm.
So there’s my 2012. Happy New Year to you and yours.
9:31 pm • 30 December 2012 • 4 notes
Ian Curtis illustration, based on that iconic photo of him. Drawn freehand.
12:00 pm • 29 December 2012 • 31 notes
Return from the Wilderness.
Hi. Friends and kids from my school stalking this tumblr, here’s a playlist I think you’ll dig. Merry Christmas and all that jazz, also.
- White Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground
- They Walked in Line - Joy Division
- White Fright - Bass Drum of Death
- Hollow Hollow Eyes - Crocodiles
- Edward Benz, 27 Times - La Dispute
- A Broken Jar - La Dispute
- Wants/Needs - Touchè Amorè
- Dirty Boots - Sonic Youth
- All Apologies (live) - Nirvana
- Incinerate - Sonic Youth
- Tell Me What to Swallow - Crystal Castles
- Love Interruption - Jack White
- The Light Behind your Eyes - MCR
- Weatherpeople - RJD2
- Between Friends Ft. Earl Sweatshirt - Captain Murphy
- Bad Religion - Frank Ocean
- Lucifer - Jay-Z
- Sunny Side of Hell - Grieves
- American Wedding - Frank Ocean
- Kings - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- Silk Pillow - Childish Gambino
- Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset - Modest Mouse
- A Children’s Crusade On Acid - Margot & The Nuclear So and So’s
- Stars - XX
- Little Brother - The Tallest Man on Earth
I’ll still be doing some sort of year end round up in a couple of days. I’m having a really fun time making comics, which isn’t something I’ve been able to say for a while. Can’t wait to share some of these pages.
8:10 pm • 24 December 2012 • 5 notes
edbanger said: hey man stumbled onto your tumblr on a google search and i think your drawings are fucking fantastic, that's all, keep creating.
Danke schon. What were you searching for, if you don’t mind me asking?
10:53 am • 4 December 2012 • 2 notes
Anonymous said: What does it say on the statue?
'Our Lady of Seven Sorrows Hospital'.
5:35 pm • 2 December 2012
Comic pages are taking an increasingly long time to draw. I can’t tell if it’s cause I’m getting better or worse. Regardless, it’s really goddamn frustrating.
9:40 pm • 26 November 2012 • 2 notes